Between birth and approximately age 27, the body’s antioxidant integrity is equal to or greater than the body's free radical activity and there is less damage during these years. At age 27 and beyond, the antioxidant integrity declines below the level of free radical activity and damage progressively increases in volume, as we age.
Repair still occurs as we age, but like most other processes it occurs at a slower pace. When the volume of free radical damage greatly exceeds the speed of the repair process, then aging marches forward quickly. If, on the other hand, the volume of free radical damage drops to less than the speed of the repair process, anti-aging and rejuvenation occurs. In this aspect, a highly effective anti-aging program can actually become regenerative or rejuvenating.
s Anti-Aging Possible??
Of Course, It is Possible!!
The body is designed to heal and repair itself with the aid of proper nutrition. The body requires two vital materials to complete this - energy and raw material. These two requirements are needed to maintain the cell's proper functions. The body is made up of cells and all cells are living. All living things need food. Each cell needs the proper food to keep it strong. Cells die and replace themselves at various intervals. To understand anti-aging, understand that when a cell replaces itself it has three options that it can replace itself with:
1. A cell may replace itself with a weaker cell each time. A cell will do this if it hasn't had the right nutritional foods available to it. This process is called degeneration.
2. A cell can replace itself with the same strength cell. This means the body doesn't improve. That is, you have a chronic condition.
3. The cell is capable of replacing itself with a stronger and better cell. This will happen only if the cell has an abundance of energy and the right raw materials. This process is called regeneration or rejuvenation.
Anti-Aging Diet !!
Anti-aging diet is not a diet in the sense that its objective is to make you loose weight. Anti-aging diet is actually a lifestyle of dietary habits that will lead you to longevity. It is therefore not a weight reduction diet, although it has weight reduction effect.
The potential to enjoy a healthful and active life is greater for people who eat an antioxidant rich diet, than for people who do not.
Foods which usually cause degeneration and aging are:
- High levels of carbohydrate
- Milk (especially homogenized milk) and chees
- Caffeine - Including Tea, Coffee, chocolate, cola etc
- White flour
- Microwaved food
- Chemicals such as flouride (which is a rat poison)
- Artificial sweeteners (especially aspartame / nutrasweet)
- Processed foods
- Artificial Colorings (as in Gatorade)
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Preserved meat
- Meat from animals on unnatural diets (eg pork)
- Vegetable oil
- Canola oil
- Cotton seed oil
- Hydrogenated oils
- Oil that is not cold pressed / expeller pressed (use olive oil)
- Deep fried foods
- Chips / French fries)
- Puffed grain
- Meat and eggs raised by `normal' methods which have many toxins and hormones.
- Seafood which are garbage eaters (eg oysters)
- Foods with high levels of mercury. This includes most fish, such as tuna.
- Aluminium. Especially from aluminium cookware.
Foods which are good for rejuvenation and anti-aging:
In general, colorful fruits and vegetables are excellent food selections. They are rich in antioxidants and these are highly desirable selections because they neutralize free radicals and slow the aging process.
As we age, the volume of digestive enzymes declines, reducing the body's ability to digest and absorb foods. Supplements such as green tea, vitamin C, zinc, hydrocotyl (centella asiatica / gotu kola), pomegranate, grape seed, alpha-lipoic acid, etc. are loaded with antioxidants and can protect the body from free radical damage. This becomes an easy method of increasing the body's antioxidant supply when foods and their digestion may not provide the desired volume of antioxidants.
The overall design of the Anti-Aging program is to enliven the body’s inner intelligence and thereby restore balance to the fundamental modes of physiological and psychological functioning. These fundamental modes or forms of intelligence in Ayurveda are termed as Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
Its very important to have a balance between them. And the balance among these three constitution can be brought only with the right kind of diet designed specially for your Body type.
All these above given factors together would result in harmonious aging without making you look Older !!